Banffshire Coast News
Group calls for return of the Mercat Cross
The Banff Preservation and Heritage Society is looking to bring one of the town's oldest existing artefacts back home. A replica of the Mercat Cross now stands at the Low Street Plainstones; however the Society wants to bring the rare original (currently stored by the North East Scotland Preservation Trust) to the town's museum. The Mercat Cross dates back to the 16th century and it was erected where the Biggar Fountain on the corner of Low Street now stands today. In 1767 it was removed from the spot because of its size and interference with traffic, and its custody was given to the Earl of Fife. He erected it on a hill at Sandyhill Road before it was re-sited at the Plainstones in 1900. The base at Sandyhill Road remains and is a doocot. In 1994, the Society created a replica of the cross and the original was then put in storage. The Cross is a very rare piece in Scotland as it is one of the few remaining pre-Reformation crosses.