724-Path-to-Alvah-Br-2945.jpg

Banffshire Coast News

Plans for a day to remember at Foggie

Aberchirder is gearing up for landmark celebrations in May to bring the once bustling village streets alive to mark its 250th anniversary.  Aberchirder was the first planned village in Scotland in 1764. 

Plans for the event on Saturday 17th May 2014 are at an early stage, with the centrepiece of the day's celebrations the unveiling of a specially commissioned commemorative plaque in the square below the Jubilee Clock, which was erected to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in June 1887.

Plans include a coffee morning with live entertainment, a display of historic photographs and artefacts from Foggie's history, and an outdoor gala event featuring live music, stalls and entertainment for the whole family. 

Originally known as Foggieloan - still locals' preferred name for the village - what became Aberchirder was named after a nearby historic "ferm toun".  The village was founded by Alexander Gordon, the laird of Auchintoul, and renamed Aberchirder by Gordon's successor as owner of the Auchintoul estate - after the thanes of Aberkerdour who lived at Kinnairdy Castle on the banks of the River Deveron in the 13th Century.

However, the popular name of Foggieloan, often shortened to Foggie, has survived for over two centuries, and has been incorporated in the motto of the village's coat of arms.

Back to news

Find Us...

You Tube logo